At the beginning of 2018, my wife and I quit our jobs to travel around the world together!
While we have been aggressively pursuing financial independence (the ability to live entirely off of our investments), we still have several years to go before we can “retire” from work completely (if we choose to). We are calling this adventure a “Gap Year” because we plan to return to work at some point in the future.
If you’d like to follow along with our gap year adventure, check back here on Money Metagame for regular updates. We are also micro-blogging more frequently on Instagram which is cross-posted to the blog’s Twitter and Facebook pages, so be sure to follow us on your favorite form(s) of social media.
You can also subscribe with your email address to get notified every time new content is posted here on the blog: Subscribe Here
Below will keep track of our journey so far and link to all of the articles related to the gap year.
The Journey (as of 6/5/18)
We started out in Seattle on February 1st and plan to spend the majority of our time road-tripping around the US, but we did make a small trip to Cabo with family to kick off the gap year. Thanks to miles and points, the entire 4-day, all-inclusive trip only cost us a couple hundred dollars out of pocket!
After that, we took off down the coast with a rough plan that will have us arriving in Austin, Texas near the end of March to attend a wedding. After that we headed back west to meet up with some FIRE friends in New Mexico and visit the Trinity Site Open House. Then, we continued west hitting many of the national parks in the 4-corners area.
After finishing up the biggest national parks in Utah, we’ll head east to Colorado to visit more friends and family with the intention of ending up in the Midwest (where most of our families live) for a good portion of the summer.
Part of our plan is to not have a concrete plan, so we’ll adjust as we go and make the most of wherever we end up!
The Map (Over 11,300 miles driven so far!)
Gap Year Articles
This gap year adventure has been a huge focus of ours since the middle of 2017, so I’ve written many posts about preparing for the trip and some of the various decisions we made before getting started. As we continue along in the actual journey itself, I will continue to update with where we are, what we’re spending, and anything else that comes to mind!
Check them all out below
- Crazy Thought: What If We Took a Gap Year?
- Gap Year Planning: Pre-Trip Logistics – Part 1
- Gap Year Planning: Many Mediocre Health Insurance Options
- Blogging Sabbatical Recap – FinCon, Running 50+ Miles, MoviePass, and More!
- Gap Year Planning: Preparing for the Final Paycheck
- Gap Year Planning: Travel Hacking A Year Of Hotel Stays
- Let The Gap Year Begin!
- A Cabo San Lucas All Inclusive on Points, Miles, and $164
- Gap Year Week 2: It Doesn’t Feel Real Yet
- Gap Year Spending Month 0 – $1,552.62
- Gap Year Spending Month 1 – $3,743.55
- The $1,000,000 Road Trip
- Gap Year Week 9: Time Has Slowed to a Crawl
- Gap Year Spending Month 2 – $3,555.27
- Gap Year Week 12: Deflategate (When Things Go Wrong)
- Choosing the Perfect Early Retirement “Income”
- Gap Year Spending Month 3 – $3,796.40
- 6 Perks of Living In Hotels
- Gap Year Spending Month 4 – $2,184.27
- Purchasing Points For The First Time
- Gap Year Week 23: A Brief Intermission